Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Avoiding technology in baby steps

This task proved trickier than the last two. This was a very busy weekend for me between students beginning to move back to campus, open houses and First Night, I had to work all weekend. While at work I needed to be answering the phone, responding to text messages, reading email and other computer related tasks so "unplugging" wasn't really an option. Plus, with the threat of Hurricane Earl, it wasn't a good decision to avoid my weather updates online and on tv or the phone calls of worried family members.

Since I went into the weekend knowing I couldn't really avoid technology I decided to use Monday for my Shabbat (since I had it off). Powering down was difficult to do, since I am so accustomed to being connected all the time, but it was a nice change of pace. I turned off my phone so I wasn't assaulted by a constant barrage of text messages. I left my computer in another room, knowing that my email and facebook could go a day without me looking at them. I didn't completely avoid technology - I watched tv. Let's not get crazy, a whole day without tv? Why would I even get up in the morning?

I did have to consciously make the decision over and over again not to go online or answer the phone, but it was very calming to just spend some time around the house in the sunlight and summer breeze and enjoy the day.

Since I am sure there will be a while until we all get another serene day, please take a little time for yourselves every day. I know it won't be easy, but we should still try!

L'Shanah Tovah! A sweet and healthy to you all!!!

-Joie

No comments:

Post a Comment