Sunday, October 3, 2010

The long and winding road

This has been a rough few weeks for me. An endless stream of frustrating student drama has put a damper on my happy Hillel days. That plus the early mornings, late nights and working weekends has left me feeling worn down, overwhelmed and way behind on housework and personal errands.

I had Friday off and despite the absolutely retched weather I decided to run all of my long overdue errands. One of these tasks was to drop off a large pile of packages that needed returning (one wasn't even for me!). So, I set off with my stack of packages in the pouring rain for the local post office. After I managed to get to the counter (I dropped the pile of packages twice, I slipped and fell and had to wait in a 15 minute line) the nice gentleman working told me that 2 of my packages had to go to UPS and he could not accept them. So again I go out into the rain in hopes of finding a UPS store. When I arrived there the fellow working told me he could only take 1 of the packages and the other had to go the the state distribution center (luckily, RI is a very small state and I live right in the middle!). He gave me directions and off I went.

I wound my way through the narrow back roads, finally arriving at the UPS distribution center and dropped off my final package. As I left the parking lot I came to a fork in the road. To the right lay the road back towards my house. To the left was the Warwick animal shelter! How fortuitous! I drove excitedly to the animal shelter where I was told that while they did not need any help this weekend, I could sign up to volunteer in the future. I left with a spring in my step and a smile on my face - feeling good for the first time in weeks!

Thanks Dani for presenting this task! I look forward to the opportunity to volunteer at the animal shelter and working with the animals who spend their days there! It is something that I have always wanted to do and now I had the excuse to get myself in. (I hope that you had a very happy birthday, as well!) I also want to thank Melissa McCrea. Thanks for sending your package to the wrong address and providing me the path to the animal shelter. I hope that whoever and wherever she is, she finally gets whatever she ordered so many months ago! Sorry for the delay.

Have a terrific week everyone!

Joie

No comments:

Post a Comment