Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Getting rid of excess

When I read Andrea's task for this week's Avoid Commerce, "Count your receipts", my first thought was 'this will be easy' as I was moving on Monday and was therefore going to be home packing all weekend and not spending any money.

As I started to pack, however, I realized that I owned a whole lot of stuff that I didn't need, and therefore thought it would be more appropriate to count my possessions instead of my receipts. How, in the span of one year, I was able to accumulate so much junk, I am not sure, but I am sure that not only am I going to do a serious purge and donate a lot of old clothes but that I am also going to be more mindful when making purchases in the future and whether they are things I really need or the best way to spend my money. I figured there was no better time to make this resolution than while thinking about the relationship between shabbat and commerce, and all of those things in my life.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment